Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Freedom: Finding the Right Limitations

I've been enjoying reading The Reason for God, Belief in an Age of Skepticism (Keller) slowly over the past few weeks. With each chapter Keller highlights a common argument non-believers bring up to disregard Christianity.

I just read Chapter 3 "Christianity Is a Straightjacket" -- the concept that Christianity supposedly limits our personal potential because it takes away our freedom to choose our own beliefs and practices.

In part of his argument, Keller states that "freedom is not the absence of limitations and constraints, but finding the right ones, those that fit our nature and liberate us."

To illustrate his point, he uses a fish. Because a fish gets its oxygen only from the water, it is only free when it is restricted and limited to the water. If we offer it land it has the freedom of choice of environment, but it will die ... freedom: finding liberation in restrictions that produce a great power of our abilities and a deeper joy.

Keller uses love as the "ultimate freedom" - recognizing that love is the environment that liberates us, but it does limit our personal options to experience it. For love relationships to be healthy, there has to be mutual loss of independence.

Here's where he gets to God:

At first sight, a relationship with God seems inherently dehumanizing. Surely it will have to be "one way," God's way. God, the divine being has all the power. I must adjust to God - there is no way then God could adjust to and serve me.

While this might be true in other forms of religion and belief it is not true in Christianity. In the most radical way, God has adjusted to us - in his incarnation and atonement. In Jesus Christ he became a limited human being, vulnerable to suffering and death. On the cross, he submitted to our condition - as sinners - and died in our place to forgive us. In the most profound way, God has said to us, in Christ, 'I will adjust to you. I will change for you. I will serve you though it means a sacrifice for me.' If he has done this for us, we can and should say the same to God and others .... Once you realize how Jesus changed for you and gave himself for you, you aren't afraid of giving up your freedom and therefore finding your freedom in him (50-51).

... Jesus, I do believe. Help my unbelief.

1 comment:

  1. Our freedom is the opportunity or liberty we have to choose Jesus Christ as our Lord & Savior!

    ReplyDelete